Sunday, June 29, 2008

Special Hamburgers

A friend recently convinced me to try a food co-op, Bountiful Baskets . That means I had to leave my house dressed somewhat decently and be at a park before 8:15am on a Saturday. Whew. I did make it and I wasn't even late! :) As I was lugging my 100lbs of fruits and veggies (OK, maybe more like 20lbs) back to my car, I took a quick inventory - some bananas, squash (yea!), cantaloupe, grapes, eggplant . . . EGGPLANT?!?! Okay, the only reason why I knew what it was was because I have read the baby book about colors and eggplant is on the purple page - and that was because they couldn't think of any more purple items to put on the purple page. What am I going to do with an eggplant?

I decided that it was better to use it right away, then if we didn't like it, we would know. So, I pulled out a trusted cookbook, and found their sole eggplant recipe and decided to give it a shot. I placed the eggplant patties - or "special hamburgers" to our unsuspecting kids to diguise that it might be some funky, wierd vegetable - with some trepidation on the table and we dug in - isn't it beautiful alongside the plums and lettuce that were also in the basket?




So, how did it fair? I ate 1 pattie - it was pretty good and that's saying something for someone who doesn't like anything to distrube her palate. My husband ate 2, Emma ate 1 1/2 and Austin, well Austin ate like I starve him. For lunch he ate 2 1/2 and dinner he had 2 more - that is 5 1/2 patties in a day! So, where can I buy more eggplant?

6 comments:

Andrea said...

That's awesome...I'm going to have to try those out!

Steve Frost said...

First, my apologies for using this very cute blog to communicate with Todd. What a treat to hear from you! You have a great-looking family. Shoot me an email some time at slfrost@gmail.com.

Unknown said...

hey Julie, How cool you were able to "disguise" the eggplant as burgers.
We did the basket too and I was so happy to find eggplant in there! I made a parmesian out of it. Is is so easy! Just use crushed salad crutons a few tsp olice oil, and an egg. Slice the eggplant, dip in egg shake the crutons with the eggplant in a ziploc and fry them in the oil. make a spaghetti noodle top with sauce, and you are good to go!

Julie said...

Cool! Thanks for the recipe. I will definitely have to try it now that I am no longer scared of the unknown vegatable. :)

Andrea M. said...

After watching the movie Ratatouille, we found a recipe to make the dish ratatouille. It has eggplant in it, but we decided to try it anyway. We served it over rice, and it was delicious! Everyone wanted seconds. Apparently this feared vegetable needs to make a comeback!

SmileKatieLovesYou said...

I that your kids are amazing to be able to taste something so.... different. I mean it sounds yummy... and it's not something that I pride myself in... but I am a picky eater. But the way that you discribe them, they sound really yummy. I am going to have to try them sometime.

Katie Russell

Blog URL:
http://www.smilekatielovesyou.blogspot.com